Monday, November 19, 2012

NaNoWriMo and Other Tales

Hello there, welcome to Teacup Monster. I know this is by no means a new blog, but it looks new! I don't think that I've actually done a real post since I redecorated a bit. I could give you excuses, but I only have three real reasons for not posting: laziness, November has been the busiest month of the year for me so far, and  (drum roll please) NaNoWriMo! NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. It's where you attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in one month and you track your progress here. It is a great way to challenge yourself, and the best part is that you don't have to be a writer. Anyone can do it and no one's writing could really be that good with such a short deadline. If you are interested in it I would suggest that next year you sign up and give it a shot. This is my first year doing it, and believe me when I say that it is hard. Especially since the natural enemy of NanoWriMo is Pinterest. I shouldn't even be writing this post right now, I need to save my words. But hey, I don't expect to win this year, I just thought that it would be be better to try and fail than not try at all.
On Friday night I went to my best friend's birthday party (you know who you are if you're reading this). It was super fun! it was red carpet themed, so we dressed up as our favorite actresses. I was Lucy from "I love Lucy" and another girl was Ethel. Let me tell you, ten teenage girls after midnight who have been drinking soda, eating candy and popcorn, and playing Just Dace on a wii are LOUD. It was so much fun. So, her being my best friend and me being crafty, I couldn't get her just any present. So what did I do? I got her some lovely nail polish and made her a scarf using my new favorite quote. I was inspired by a pin. I tweaked the quote a tiny bit, on the scarf it said, "Get over your hill and see what you find, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair, and I will be with you every step of the way." Happy (I mean hapay) birthday K!

I recently made a skirt. That's right, all by myself. I have a sewing machine that I don't use very often, and I happened to have one of my Dad's old button down shirts. I found a very easy and well-written tutorial for a skirt made from a shirt. The tutorial was super clear and easy to follow. I followed it and ended up with this lovely skirt (if you make it please keep in mind that if you make it the same length on the front and back it will look a bit shorter in the back when you wear it). The great thing about this skirt is that it's light and comfortable, so it's very versatile. You can wear it in the summer with a cute tank and sandals, or in the fall/winter with tights and a slouchy sweater. You don't have to be good at sewing or crafting to turn your dad/brother/boyfriend/husband/thrift store/insignificant Male's button up shirt into an adorable skirt. You can even use a flannel or plaid shirt for a more cozy look. The possibilities are endless!

Thanksgiving is only a couple of days away, and I'm super excited! It is one day of the year when you can really stop to be thankful for your friends, family, and food. I can't wait to fill my belly with comfort food and then go into a food coma. And do you know what thanksgiving means? Christmas is coming soon! Time really flies, especially since I stay busy this season. I am so excited for decorating, cooking, and most of all, my family is visiting (yes, that includes Jordan). I am soooooo excited (have I said that already?)!It will be so nice to make Christmas crafts and listen to carols.

Well, i have to go now. I will try to post more after NaNoWriMo. We'll see how that works out.
à toute à l'heure!
By the way, this is what I'm listening to now:
Au Revoir Simone- Dark Halls
Au Revoir Simone- All or nothing
Of Monsters and Men- King and Lionheart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...